Friday, February 1, 2008

An Amazing Day - February 1, 2008

Friday, February 1, 2008. A most memorable day with some of the most heartwarming/ heart wrenching events.

I had the opportunity to give a keynote address to 150+ students who were part of Delta Epsilon Chi’s Regional Finals at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, RI. Johnson and Wales was founded by two ladies in the 1930’s. 70+ years later it is over 15,000 students strong at 4 campuses. An amazing entrepreneurial accomplishment.

Students were competing for the National DEX event in Atlanta in April. I had a chance to judge one event and wanted to offer IMMEDIATE job opportunities to two of the contestants. One of them told me he was flunking out of high school and found the way to get through it so he could attend J & W. His GPA is 3.9. He spoke with the wisdom of a 40 year old – not a 20 year old.

After the competition I met and talked to a phenomenal young lady who works for DEX, named Kyle. She grew up in a household where DECA and Delta Epsilon Chi were a way of life. After high school she started the DEX chapter at the University of Utah – then transferred to Johnson and Wales in Denver. Along the way she was a DEX chapter leader, then a state leader, then a National VP. After graduation DECA’s national headquarters was smart enough to capture her and have her become part of their staff. This was a no-brainer to me. It was like playing in a best-ball golf tournament and picking Tiger to be on your team. Duh.

As I got ready to board the plane I met a family with “Make a Wish” foundation buttons. They were headed from Providence to Phoenix for the Super Bowl. They were huge Patriots fans. I learned they were going to sit in the first row of the private boxes.

Mom and step-dad were with their 15 year old son, Rob. Rob was diagnosed with testicular cancer in October. Now, three months later, he just completed chemotherapy. All of his hair was gone. I asked the dad how Rob was doing. He told me that they just got blood tests results and they weren’t good. All of the doctors’ communications go through mom and she hadn’t broken the news yet. The Make a Wish Foundation was making one of Rob’s dreams come true.

Also boarding our plane were Patriot fans going to the game. I told them I thought that the Packers should have been playing. They agreed. Even though the Packers aren’t playing, it is hard for me to root against a guy who was drafted #199 and has since won 3 Super Bowls. I guess the experts aren’t always right. How many teams had the chance to have Tom Brady and blew it. All of them!!!!

I sat next to a Navy Flight Surgeon on the plane. Julia was her name. As we talked it was obvious that she was very much in love with someone named Shane who lived in Washington D. C. For two hours we talked about love and finding the right mate. I told her about my love affair with my wife, Mary Kay, and how magical it was. She told me about her love and how her life was getting new meaning. The two of them were together less than 6 months but they both knew that this “was the one”. They were the same age – just as Mary Kay and I were the same age. They had a long distance love affair as we had. I told her how being together every night was even more exciting than it was only seeing each other every other weekend.

I showed her wedding pictures and gushed about what life can be like when you are with the right person. She told me about their magic and I assured her that finding the right love, regardless of how long you are with them, is a feeling like you can’t imagine.

She agreed.

Julia was 38 and was hoping to have kids soon. She knew that Shane was the right person to be the dad. She knew that this man was a one-of-a-kind for her. . . Just as Mary Kay was my one-of-a-kind that I could never imagine before in life.

As we got off the plane shook her hand and asked her to let me know when there was a wedding date. I knew her less than 120 minutes but wanted to be there when they say “I DO” for the last time of their lives.

I said goodbye and saw Rob and his parents heading for the flight for Phoenix. I thanked God for love, and for life, and for our future leaders. I prayed that Rob was one of those leaders. I knew Kyle would be. I hoped Tom Brady would win – especially for Rob.

I then caught my flight for Tampa. I was headed home to the woman who truly made my house a home. I would tell her about my day. We’d tell each other how much we relish love stories. We’d pray for Rob. We’d make plans to see Kyle. We’d fall asleep wrapped up in each other’s arms appreciating life . . . and love.

A truly amazing day. Go Delta Epsilon Chi. Go Kyle. Go Julia and Shane. Go Tom Brady and the Patriots. Most importantly - Go Rob.

No comments: