Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Story of Unparalleled Support - Who are You Supporting???

It was a week of tears of joy. I thought I was over it until I read this morning’s sports page. I’ll get to that story in a second.

My daughter got married Saturday. Family and friends from around the country starting arriving in Tampa a week ago. Had the chance to spend time with all three of my kids, one grandson, and welcome a son-in-law to the group – who is absolutely perfect for my daughter. On Friday we had a "wedding golf outing". My 8-year old grandson rode with us. He sank a 10’ birdie putt and drove the cart all day. On Saturday I walked my daughter down the aisle. The bride and groom asked me to sing "The Wedding Song – There is Love" at the wedding. In the audience were my best friends from Cleveland. I sang the same song at their wedding 22 years ago. The song must work!

For the past six months life seemed to be "BW and AW" – before wedding and after wedding. But I knew April 26 wouldn’t necessarily calm things down.

May would be hectic. A trip to Chicago for a meeting of the Board of Governors of the International Franchise Association’s Institute of Certified Franchise Executives on May 1. A webcast on the "Top 10 Hiring Mistakes" for the Human Capital Institute. A speech to 30 young advertising professionals – age 26-32 in Tampa. Recruiting trips to UNC, University of Houston, William Paterson University, DePaul and UIC. The annual convention for the National Association of Colleges and Employers in New Orleans. All of this sandwiched around Valpak’s annual sales gala – Coupon U – where over 1200 Valpakians will join us in Tampa.

But the wedding is over and I thought the tears of joy would now be over. Then, as I said, I read the morning paper. It was an AP story about a softball game between Western Oregon University and Central Washington University. (You better grab some tissues now).

Sara Tucholsky, a WOU senior about to graduate, did something she had never done in high school or college. She hit a home run. In her excitement she missed first base. She knew she had to touch each base so she turned around to run back to first when it happened. She collapsed with a knee injury. She knew the rules. She had to touch all the bases for it to be a home run. She crawled back to first base. A pinch runner was out of the question to complete the home run trot. She would be held to a single.

In an act of unparalleled sportsmanship, Mallory Holtman – first baseman for CWU (and the leading home run hitter in the conference) asked if she could help her opponent. Mallory and CWU’s shortstop, Liz Wallace, put their arms under Tucholsky’s legs and carried her around the bases – allowing Tucholsky to touch each base and cross home plate.

Home run. In fact, three run homer. Final score – Western Oregon 4 Central Washington 2. The act of kindness and sportsmanship cost CWU the game. It also ended their chances to advance in the playoffs. But, it made them lifetime heroes to many – me included. Here is the AP version:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOF_HOME_RUN_HELP_OROL-?SITE=ORAST&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-04-30-16-13-59

While my eyes welled-up in tears I remembered the story and YouTube video of the 1992 Olympics and of Derek Redmond and his dad. (More tissues will be needed for this one. Maybe a whole box)

In 1988 Derek Redmond arrived in Seoul, Korea hoping to win a medal in the 400. 10 minutes before his race he suffered an Achilles tendon injury. He had shattered the British 400-meter record at 19 and now was unable to fulfill his Olympic dream.

Fast forward 4 years. It is Barcelona. Derek is back. He underwent 5 surgeries to get there. He was poised to win a medal as one of the fastest men in the world.

In the semifinal heat, 65,000 people are watching Derek explode from the blocks and take the lead. Surely he would make the finals. Just 175 meters from the finish he hears a "pop" and grabs his right hamstring. His Olympic medal journey is over as he falls to the track.

The medical crew comes out with a stretcher but Derek shoos them off the track as he gets up determined to hop on one leg to the finish. The race is over for all of the other runners but Redmond is hobbling toward the finish line. 65,000 people are cheering for him.

Suddenly, Jim Redmond, Derek’s father, breaks through security and runs onto the track. Jim runs to Derek. Derek buries his head in his father’s shoulder and weeps. Jim, bearing most of Derek’s weight, wraps his arm around his son’s waist and virtually carries him toward the finish line.

One step before the finish line Jim lets go of his son so that Derek can cross the finish line by himself. Read and watch the account at these links:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=moments/94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyWwSR9xBH0

Every time I watch that video I pray that I can, somehow, give my children (and my new son-in-law) something that is remotely close to what Jim Redmond did.

We all need this support. Regardless of what we do. Think back on the people who supported you the most in time of need. Who was it? What was the situation? How long ago was it?

Sara Tucholsky will no doubt remember her only home run in high school and college. More importantly, she will remember Mallory Holtman and Liz Wallace the rest of her life. She’ll tell her grandkids the story of how they carried her around the bases.

I then thought of my upcoming trips to the universities and seeing our leaders of tomorrow. I have no doubt I’ll read about some of the students I am about to meet. They come from some of the best schools in America. Some will go through one of the best internships I’ve ever seen – the University Directories internship. www.universitydirectories.com

I want to be one of the people that a student remembers 40 years from now! I want to be able to influence one of tomorrow’s leaders and support their efforts.

I admire what my good friends are doing. I can’t imagine where tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of students would be without Steven Rothberg at www.collegerecruiter.com Employers, too. Steven’s dream is providing a future for people every minute.

I think of all of the Professors who work with students who have a focus in sales as the USCA (University Sales Center Alliance) schools. What a tremendous job they are doing. More students will enter the profession of sales than all other majors combined. http://www.salescenteralliance.com

It goes without saying that Howard Stevens, Jeanne Frawley and the professionals who make up USEF (University Sales Education Foundation) http://www.chally.com/sales-ed/index.html will also be changing the career paths for thousands of students interested in a career in sales.

At one of the last IFA events I remember talking to someone who invited Eric Chester of www.generationwhy.com to their event. He has taught and influenced so many of our franchise leaders as well as tens of thousands of high school students during his speaking career. Hopefully the book we are writing will helps millions of people understand the power of Gen Why. www.generationwhy.com/allin

These people are our future! And, we are in very capable hands!

Evidence of this comes from Mallory Holtman – the first baseman who carried Tucholsky around the bases. Her quote in the paper was, "In the end, it is not about losing so much. It was about this girl. She hit it over the fence and was in pain, and she deserved a home run."
This attitude is refreshing for our future.

Sometimes it feels good to shed tears of joy.

2 comments:

Steven Rothberg CollegeRecruiter.com said...

Wow. What an amazing collection of incredible experiences!

Congratulations on the wedding. I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks in New Orleans for the National Association of Colleges and Employers annual conferences. They seem to somehow get better and better every year.

Unknown said...

I am deeply touched by your blog post, Mark. You are a gifted story-teller, and I am honored to be listed in this post.

I know how many young lives you have touched. You've carried quite a few across the line, yourself.

Peace and joy,

Eric