Thursday, February 28, 2008

You can't handle the truth !

I watched the Academy Awards the other night and there was everybody’s favorite actor, Jack Nicholson. It reminded me of the 1992 Oscars when he was up for Best Supporting Actor for A Few Good Men , which was also up for an Oscar that year. A Few Good Men lost to Unforgiven that year and Jack lost to Gene Hackman for his role in Unforgiven.

That got me thinking about the great line from that movie when Jack was on the witness stand. According to Wickipedia, the line "You can't handle the truth!" was voted the twenty-ninth greatest American movie quote of all-time by the American Film Institute. (It is in my top five – but after “A Cinderella Story, etc.)

I fell asleep but heard that No Country for Old Men won the Oscar. Glad I fell asleep before it was announced. I wish I would have fallen asleep at this movie, instead. This got me thinking even more about “Best Picture” and “The Truth”. Personally I think that No Country for Old Men winning an academy award for best picture is about as truthful as saying that Roger Clemens AND his trainer, Brian McNamee, are both telling the truth.

Whatever happened to the truth? Like the saying, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” . . . I think we have morphed to, “Truth is in the mind of the beholder.” Or at least it seems that way anymore.

So I got to thinking about what the truth is for Gen Why . . . and for employers of Gen Why. I received an e-mail from someone recently who said, “I know that generation Y does not take kindly to discipline in the work force. This is a very "all about me and what makes me feel good" work force. What is your take on this? I do not believe that they welcome a structured work environment.”

As I thought about this it dawned on me that this is “the truth” to this person. They really believe that the 75 million Gen Whys don’t want a structured work environment or any discipline. (To me this makes about as much sense as No Country for Old Men winning an Oscar)

So what is the truth? And I mean the real truth.

The truth is the onus is on us, who are managers, to change how we think! Consider this:
We acknowledge the fact that we can’t go to Best Buy and get an 8-track anymore
We acknowledge the fact that we there isn’t going to be a gas war down the street and we can get gas for 29 cents a gallon
We acknowledge the fact that milkman isn’t going to stop by the house with milk, fresh eggs or anything else


What many of us don’t acknowledge is that we have to change the way we think and how we coach. There are 80 million baby boomers. The first ones get their first social security check this year. The next 10 years will see a mass exodus of boomers become retirees – or at least part-time workers. There are only 46 million Gen X’ers. (no comment) Fortunately there are 75 million Gen Wise.

I read this week in Selling Power.com the following: Gen Y workers change jobs around eight times in their first five years of employment. If they stick with you for three years, they are content with their career path, training, technology, etc., and they're yours.

What is the truth for you??? Shame on them or shame on us???

Here is the truth. We are dealing with a very savvy generation. They are smart. They are technologically superior. They set goals – and what to achieve them quickly. They’ve been coddled by their parents and that isn’t their fault. (It isn’t my fault that my parents raised me with the understanding if I got a spanking at school, I’d get two at home – then we’d talk about it)

They WANT and NEED input. Daily. But, they want the TRUTH when it comes to input. How can they get better if we continue to coddle or protect them? It is coaching and mentoring time – not dictatorship. Need proof? Just read about Tom Coughlin, this year’s winning Super Bowl coach. He changed his coaching style this year. Hey, it worked.

So what is the truth on what we need to do?

First, accept that we need to change.
Next, read and study what we need to do. Start with http://www.collegerecruiter.com/pages/white-papers.php and read what Steven and his staff have to say. They are hardwired to this generation and can help employers learn more.
Go to Eric Chester’s site: http://generationwhy.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=8&Itemid=51 and see what he offers. The information there is amazing.
Read what Ryan Healy has to say in: http://www.employeeevolution.com/archives/2007/12/05/three-signs-of-a-cool-boss/ You might have seen him on 60 Minutes. He has one of the best blogs around at www.employeeevolution.com.

We never said this is easy. Neither is making a 20’ putt on a flat surface and I’ve tried that for 20 years!

By understanding the truth about this generation, you’ll understand why I call them Generation Wise and you’ll be better prepared for what you need to do for the next decade. Every day I’m learning more about this generation for our Valpak sales rep needs. Everyday, I’m more impressed with our future because of them.

Oh, and by the way, I still think No Country for Old Men sucks.

No comments: