Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Gold Medal for Gen Wisers

My regiment during the past few days is interesting. I’ve been doing phone interviews with some of our Valpak Gen Y Sales Reps. I also spoke with Deb Chereck, the Director of the Career Center at the University of Oregon. Deb talked about Gen Y, our next generation, as the next great generation in America. Deb knows what she is talking about. She been at Oregon over 25 years and really understands the group that is going to lead the world in the next two decades. I’ll call them all Gen Wisers.

At night I hurry home to watch the Olympics. I get goosebumps on my arms when I see Michael Phelps win another gold medal and break another world record. Race after race. Night after night. Amazing.

Yesterday I talked to one of our Valpak sales managers, Sean Dunn, who is only 26. We talked about the great generation coming out of college. Then I remembered that Michael Phelps is 23. The Gen Wise sales reps I’ve been talking to are all within a year or three of being 23 – about the same age Sean was when he joined Valpak. Sean has moved up quickly and will be one of our talented leaders of the future.

I had videotaped an interview with Lauren Millman, one of our reps in New Jersey and had Sean watch it. I told him of the conversations I had with all of our Sales Reps. Without exception they all talked about the person in the office that was their mentor or their coach. It wasn’t always their manager – in fact, it usually wasn’t. Lauren had two different mentors in her time with Valpak. Also a Sales Manager. She praises all three of them. Lauren, too, is on the fast track to stardom because of her coaches, managers and mentors.

I’ve always admired great coaches. Pat Forde of ESPN.com wrote a great story about Phelps and his coach, Bob Bowman. You can find it at:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3534490

The story of Bowman and Phelps is amazing. Bowman epitomizes what a coach should/can be. He started coaching Phelps at 11. Yes, as in 11 gold medals and still counting. In the article Phelps says, “I don’t think I could be where I am today with any other coach”. Wow.

Many of my baby-boomer cohorts worry about this generation. They think the Gen Yers are coddled. They think Gen Wisers are lazy. They think Gen Yers have been so spoiled that they expect things given to them.

When it comes down to it I think most of these baby-boomers are jealous. We finally have a generation who truly gets life. Friends are important, teamwork is important, flex time is important, and work is important. Huh. Novel idea. Compare that to my generation – work is important.

Gen Wisers get it. They FOCUS on what they have to get done so they can enjoy life. Boomers enjoy their work so that it becomes their life. Duh.

So here is my message to the Gen Wise: - Keep on keeping on. You are showing us how to live.

And to the boomers – lets stop worrying about the Gen Wisers and start focusing on how we can become better coaches and mentors. We have the opportunity to lead and inspire this generation. They WANT to be coached! They WANT to be mentored! They respect us.

Oh, one final thought. For those of you reading this blog who are looking for jobs – don’t forget about my friend Steven Rothberg at collegerecruiter.com. He has one of the best sites around.

When you are about to accept that job ask the hiring manager to introduce you to your coach and/or your mentor. Then spend some time with that person before you accept the job. If the company can’t/won’t tell you who your coach/mentor (remember, this isn’t your boss!) is going to be – keep looking.

Just ask Michael Phelps how important a good coach can be. Then ask Bob Bowman how lazy this generation is.

We are in good hands. You were right, Deb!

2 comments:

Steve Hanson said...

Mr. Mark Liston,

This is a great blog spot I posted the link to this page on my profile page of Facebook. If you are not on Facebook I would recommend it. Facebook is the local hangout for all students of Delta Epsilon Chi across the country, and a great way to get the Valpak name out to them. I am looking forward to meeting with you again and hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Steve Hanson
Delta Epsilon Chi, President

1st DECA now Delta said...

Mark!

I too followed the link that Steve posted on his profile. I read everything on your blog and even favorited it! I cant wait to read your next post - and how about that book that you spoke about in Atlanta at ICDC, where can I get one?

PS. I think theres some great opportunity for a reproduction of these blogs in the National Delta newsletter, the Chi Connection. I'm going to ask Kyle about it immediately!

Thanks for your support of Gen Wisers, we appreciate it!

Stephanie
T47
Delta Epsilon Chi