Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Delta Epsilon Chi, CollegeRecruiter.com & the Lambda Theta Phi's

Some ramblings from the past couple of weeks. A tribute to the future leaders of America.

I just visited Arizona State University in Tempe, AZ. Sitting in the Student Union it dawned on me – I’m old.

It dawned on me as I was sitting in the bathroom. Two students came into the men’s room and were discussing the conversation they had with a recruiter at a recent career fair. The student was lamenting because he didn’t really know what he wanted to do at this point of his college career and the recruiter said, “You gotta make some decisions. You can’t be all things to all people.”

Here was a young man – probably not even 21 and the recruiter was telling him he needed to plan what he should be doing with the rest of his life. What got me was the final words I heard the student say to his friend as he walked out of the bathroom – “it was some old guy”.

No, no . . . I wasn’t the recruiter that said that. But when I sat down in the Student Union during lunch hour I looked around and realized I might be three times as old as some of the students in the lounge and twice as old as some of the Professors – and I’m not even 55 yet!

On the TV in the lounge was the first game of the Rays/White Sox league championship game. Evan Longoria, the 22 year old third baseman of the Rays hit two home runs in his first two at bats. Ah, youth.

I thought back to what had happened in the past few weeks. Almost 600 of us went to Capitol Hill for Franchise Appreciation Day in Washington D.C. When we were unable to meet with our Congressman or Senator we met with one of their aides. All of these very smart people, who are very influential in running our country by doing research and giving advice to their “bosses” are also young enough to be my kids.

I thought back to last week. We invited and flew in 11 soon-to-be college grads to Valpak for our College Recruiting Day. Along with those job applicants we brought in Steve Hanson, the National President for Delta Epsilon Chi. Steve is just a Junior at Weber State. We spent hours talking to him. Joe, our President, said, “Steve seems as if he is 10 years older than what he is.”

On the weekend we went to Tucson and the campus of the University of Arizona for a Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers convention. Walking on the campus one night we came across a fraternity initiation for Lambda Theta Phi. The four recruits were dressed in military-type garb with a ski cap and bandana covering their face. About 100 watched this performance with 20 or 30 fellow Lambda’s involved in the event.

After it was over we talked to a couple of the Lambda’s and asked what we saw. One talked about the fraternity, one of the oldest Latin fraternities. He explained that their GPA’s were 2nd highest on campus for any fraternities/sororities. Highest GPA’s???? I’m from the “Animal House” generation where we talked about double-secret probation. I’m getting old and our about-to-graduate-college generation is very intelligent!

Fast forward two weeks. Back in Tampa. Just saw the WORST week of Wall Street ever. How did this happen? “Smart people” my age who decided to make loans to people who couldn’t pay it back.

Talked to Steven Rothberg of CollegeRecruiter.com today. He isn’t nearly as old as I am but I think he is 40 and is one of those people who really gets it, too. He helps old guys like me learn how to be good at college recruiting. All I have to do is read his blogs. It was Steven who let me “copy” his “How to Create A Successful College Recruiting Program” when we put together our Recruiting, Hiring and Retention Guide a few years ago.

Thanks, Steven. It is your website that allows old guys like me find guys like Steve Hanson and the Lambda Theta Phi’s. Maybe the “old guy” who interviewed the ASU student should read Steven’s site. Maybe he guys who decided to lend money to people who couldn’t pay ask the Lambda’s what they would do.

Finally, maybe Evan will help get the Rays in the World Series. It pays to Dream. Keep making it happen Gen Whyers!

2 comments:

Steven Rothberg CollegeRecruiter.com said...

42, Mark. I'm 42. Yikes. It seems like only two decades ago that I was graduating from college...

Anonymous said...

We in the brother hood of Lambda Theta Phi are called Lambdas not Phi's just making it known to you.